Bachelor of Architecture (University of Adelaide)
Bachelor of Architecture (University of Melbourne)
Diploma in Town and Regional Planning (University of Melbourne)
Doctorate in Architecture Hon DArch (Universiti of Malaya) 2008
Degree of Doctor in Humanities and Social Sciences, Architecture (University of Adelaide) 2008
Degree of Doctor of Architecture (honoris causa) in University of Melbourne, 2008
Honorary Doctorate of Architectural Innovation in Universiti of Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), 2010
Corporate Member of Malaysian Institute of Architects – 1967 and Life Fellowship Member in 2010
Member of Board of Architects, Malaysia – 1974
Corporate Member of Malaysian Institute of Planning – 1974
Fellow member of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects – 1975
Life member of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects – 2007
Associate Member of the Royal Institute of British Architects – 1967
Fellow Member of the Akademi Sains Malaysia – 1997
Member of Board of Architects, Singapore – 2001
- J.Brett Plywood Award, Australia
- Johan Bintang Sarawak, 1988
- Award for Kuching Civic Centre, Association of Engineers, California, USA, 1989
- Asean Award 1990, in recognition of his work in the visual arts (Architecture).
- Nominated to the World Arts Council under the auspices of the World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland, 1994
- 12th Tokyo Creation Award by Tokyo Fashion Association, Japan, 1998
- PAM 2000 Excellence Awards in Recognition of Design Excellence in Commercial Building Category on The Securities Commission Headquarters Building, 2001
- Asean Energy Efficiency Award for Securities Commission Headquarters, Bukit Kiara
- Pertubuhan Akitek Malaysia’s Gold Medal Award, Sept 2001 for outstanding works and invaluable contribution in architecture.
- Award in Urban Redevelopment, Conservation and Restoration for Kampung Glam, Singapore by Pertubuhan Perancang Malaysia, 2001
- Vocational Excellence Award for the recognition of outstanding achievements in the field of Architecture by the Rotary Club of Metro Kuala Lumpur, 2002.
- Anjung Seri Creative Council Award for the recognition of outstanding achievements in the field of arts and designs by Berita Publishing Sdn Bhd,, 2002
- BCIA (Building Construction Interchange Asia) Top Ten 2005 Award, 2005
- Architecture & Design (A+D) Spectrum Foundation Architecture Awards, India, 2005
Professional Appointments :-
- External Examiner to School of Architecture, MARA Institute of Technology.
- External Examiner to School of Architecture, University Sains Malaysia.
- External Examiner to School of Architecture, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
- Member Board of Advisory, Building Department, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
- Member of the Board of Trustees, National Art Gallery, 1979-1999
- Vice-President (1984-90) and Life Member of the Malaysian Yachting Association.
- Visiting Professor of Architecture, Sheffield University, United Kingdom, 1995-97.
- Commodore of the Royal Selangor Yacht Club, Port Klang 1996-1998
- Member, Building Committee, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, 1995 -
- PAM Awards 2002 Convener for Pertubuhan Akitek Malaysia
- Singapore Institute of Architects Panel Jury for Architectural Design Award 2004,
- Member Board of Studies, Master of Urban Design, Faculty of Architecture & Environmental, International Islamic University Malaysia, Aug 2003
- Adjunct Professor at the Department of Architecture, Faculty of Architecture and Environmental Design, International Islamic University Malaysia, from July 2004
- Member of Master of Science in Architectural Studies, Faculty of Architecture, Universiti Malaya, April 2006
- Member of Astana Architectural Council edicted by the President of Kazakhstan, Nov 07
- Visiting Professor of Architecture, University of Adelaide, from 2007
- Visiting Professor of Architecture, University of Melbourne from 2007
- Panel judge of the Merdeka Award, 2009
- Panel Jury of the Warisan Dunia George Town, Penang, 2009
- Committee Member of the Jabatan Warisan Negara Malaysia, 2010-2011
- Committee Member of the Mahathir Science Award, Academy of Sciences Malaysia, 2010-2011
- Honorary Member of the Order of Australia (AM) by the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia, for service to Australia-Malaysia relations, particularly through his support of the arts and to architecture.
- Sole sponsor of the Balinese Gamelan Programme at Universiti Sains Malaysia, 1996 -1997
- Sole sponsor of the Rimbun Dahan Residency Programme for Malaysian and Australian Artists from 1994 to present.
- Yearly sponsor to World Life Fund (WWF) & Malaysia Nature Society (MNS)
1956 – 1959
Architectural Assistant with Singapore Housing Trust preparing the Master Plan for Queenstown, and low-cost flats for Singapore.
1959 – 1961
Architectural Assistant with South Australian Housing Trust preparing the Master Plan for Elizabeth Town, South Australia, and various housing schemes.
1961 – 1963
Architectural Assistant with Brown & Davis, South Australia, working on hospital planning, commercial and religious buildings and housing.
1965 – 1965
Architect with Hume Proprietory Ltd., Melbourne, Australia planning the construction of factories, warehouses and district offices.
1966 – 1967
Architect/Planner with Urban Renewal Department of the Singapore Housing and Development Board, in charge of the central transportation terminus study, planning for Ministry of Internal Defence Headquarters and City Development.
1967 – 1969
Team Leader for feasibility study for the establishment of Institut Teknoloji MARA.
Founding Head, School of Art and Architecture, Institut Teknologi MARA.
Master Planner for ITM Complex at Shah Alam.
Architect for MARA Vocational Institute, Malacca.
1969 – 1977
Founding principal partner of Akitek Bersekutu, subsequently Akitek Bersekutu Malaysia.
Founding principal of Hijjas Kasturi Associates, Architects and Planners. The following list covers principal projects (excluding housing) completed since 1977.
- Master plan of Bukit Ridang and six other regional plans in Pahang Tenggara.
- Master plan and development study for Genting Highlands.
- Master plan of Shah Alam Sports Complex.
- Tourism master plan for Rompin, Endau and Mersing.
- Pasir Gudang New Town, Johor.
- Medan Raya Town Centre, Kuching, Sarawak.
- Master plan of Johor Bahru coastal reclamation and urban development project in conjunction with Arthur Erikson, Canada.
- Bukit Cahaya the Santuary
- Linear City proposal for Putra jaya Administrative City, Selangor.
- Boulevard and Waterfront, Putrajaya Administrative Centre.
- Kampong Glam Urban Planning and Restoration, Singapore
- ITM Campus, Sarawak Masterplan
- AIMST Campus, Kedah Masterplan
- Putrajaya Lighting Masterplan
- Putrajaya Lake-Use and Navigational Masterplan
- New Administrative City “Kota Mandiri” for Kabupaten Padang Pariaman, Sumatra, Indonesia
- Central Business District (CBD) on the periphery of the new International Airport at Ketaping, Padang Pariaman, Sumatra, Indonesia.
- Masterplanning for Batam Island
- Masterplanning of Al Faizal University Campus, Riyadh
- Masterplanning of the International Convention Centre, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Masterplan of the Kampung Bahru Redevelopment.
- Mixed Development, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Master plan for a Mixed Development at Jalan Gambang, Kuantan.
- Commercial and resort in Halong Bay, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Restoration and development of Heritage Hotel at Jalan Lebuh Clarke, Jalan Transfer, & Jalan Hutton, Penang (PAM Awards 2011 in excellence in Architecture – Re-adaptive use)
- Main Library, Universiti Kebangsaan, Bangi, Selangor. Junior Science Colleges in Kuantan and Seremban.
- Main Library and Faculty of Social Science, Universiti Pertanian, Serdang, Selangor.
- Business School and Library, ITM, Shah Alam.
- East Malaysian Campus for ITM at Kota Samarahan, Sarawak.
- Asrama Sarawak, Universiti Malaya, Kuala Lumpur.
- Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (Tamil) Methodist, Buntong, Perak
- Institutional School & Commercial Block for Perakan Putri Islam Kebangsaan
- AIMST University Campus Buildings, Kedah
- Al-Faisal University Campus Buildings, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia