Corresponding Member of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
Prof. Arch. ATANAS KOVACHEV, Doctor of Architectural Science
Prof. Dr.S Arch. ATANAS KOVACHEV was born in 1954 year in Karnobat. He graduated from the Moscow Institute of Architecture in 1980 year. He took his doctoral degree in the same institute and became Ph.D. in 1984 year. Later, Atanas Kovachev worked as a research associate in KNIPIAT “Glavproekt,” Sofia (1984-1985 year). In 1985 he started working in the University of Forestry, Sofia, as an Assistant Professor in “Urban and Territorial Planning,” in the Department of Landscape Architecture. In 1990 year he became an Associate Professor, in 2002 year – Full Professor, and in 2005year – Doctor of Architectural Science (Dr.S.)
Prof. Atanas Kovachev carried out research abroad, too. He had a specialization on the problems of regional planning and urbanism in the Faculty of Architecture, University of Roma (1987 year), and a specialization on the problems of urbanism, landscape architecture and urban ecology in the Moscow Institute of Architecture (1990, 1991,1996 year).
Prof. Atanas Kovachev is a member of many scientific and professional unions.
These include the Union of Architects in Bulgaria (since 1984 year), the Chamber of
Architects in Bulgaria (Restored in 1991, Institutionalized in 2003 year), the Union
of Scientists in Bulgaria (since 1992 year), the Scientific and Technical Unions in
Bulgaria (since 1990 year), and of the National Academy of Architecture, Plovdiv,
Bulgaria (since 1999 year).
Prof. Kovachev was the Head of the Department of Landscape Architecture at the University of Forestry (1994-1995 year) and has been the Head of a Sector for Research and Planning at the same University since 1994 year.
Since 2007 year Prof. Kovachev has been the Dean of the Faculty of Ecology and Landscape Architecture to the University of Forestry.
Since 2008 year he has been a Corresponding Member of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
He is a member of the Scientific Council of Architecture (since 2002 year) and the Scientific Council of Forestry and Ecology (since 2007 year)
He has been a licensed expert of the Ministry of Environment and Waters for performing Environmental Impact Assessment since 1996 year and an Official Expert of the National Agency for Evaluation and Accreditation, under the council of Ministries in Bulgaria since 2002 year.
His scientific interests are in the fields of the theory and history of architecture and urban planning, territorial planning, development of the green urban systems, recreational buildings, ecological problems and sustainable territorial development.
Prof. Kovachev has published more than 200 scientific papers (monographs, studies, articles, research projects) in the respective fields above, which were published in the specialized scientific architectural journals in Bulgaria and abroad.
He is an author of the textbooks:
– Urban Planning (1999 year),
– Modern Urban Planning (2000),
– Territorial Planning (2000 year),
– Territorial Planning (2009 year),
– Urban Planning – Part 1: Principles of the Theory and Practice of Urban Planning (2003 year),
– Urban Planning – Part 2: Contemporary problems of the Modern Urban Planning (2003 year),
– the monograph Green System of Sofia. Urbanistic Aspects (2001 year),
– the monograph Green System of Sofia. Urbanistic Aspects (2005 year).
Prof. Kovachev has developed, individually or as a team, more than 100 architectural, urban planning, or landscape planning projects, most of which have been implemented.
He is one of the authors of :
– the General Urban Plan of Sofia and Sofia Municipality – 2020 year (Green System and Recreation),
– the General Urban Plan of Plovdiv and Plovdiv Municipality – 2025 year (Green System and Recreation),
– the General Urban Plan of Varna and Varna Municipality – 2030 year (Green System and Recreation),
– the General Urban Plan of Blagoevgrad and Blagoevgrad Municipality – 2030 year (Green System and Recreation),
– the General Urban Plan of Bourgas – 2030 year (Green System and Recreation).
Prof. Kovachev has won awards from numerous national architectural (1989, 1990 year), urban planning (1994, 2000, 2006 year), landscape planning (2000, 2006 year), and scientific competitions (1992, 1995, 1997 year), as well as international competitions for innovative projects (2000, 2001, 2002 year).
At the Tenth World Triennale for Architecture in 2003 year (Sofia) and the XI International Architecture Festival “Zodchestvo” in 2003 year (Moscow), he received an award for his monograph Urban Planning in two volumes.