The Instituto de Arquitetos do Brasil (IAB), supported by the UIA and UN-Habitat, invites students of architecture from all over the world in a competition to create innovative solutions for sustainable urbanisation in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil).
It focuses specifically on Complexo da Maré, one of the largest of informal settlements in the city of Rio. The competition site is located between an important and busy highway (Avenida Brasil) and a cluster of favelas (Complexo da Maré). This territory is currently occupied by warehouses and industrial buildings, most of which are abandoned or in disuse.
Participants are invited to propose solutions to integrate the Maré-Cidade to the city that would contribute to the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goal 11 “to make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable”.
The contest is open to any full-time registered students of architecture (individual or team) from all over the world. Multidisciplinary teams are encouraged with students of architecture or urban planning being authors or co-authors. Students from other disciplines can register as team members, collaborators or consultants. Teams may have from 1 to 5 students and from 1 to 2 advisors.
The Jury will award 3 prizes and up to 3 honourable mentions:
– First prize: 3,000€
– Second prize: 2,000€
– Third prize: 1,000€
– 3 honourable mentions: certificates
Important dates are:
– Launch: 2 December 2019
– Deadline for registration : 30 March 2020
– Deadline for questions : 20 February 2020
– Deadline for answers: 28 February 2020
– Deadline for submission of entries: 30 April 2020
– Jury meeting and evaluation of entries: 15-25 May 2020
– Announcement of Competition results on web site: 1 Juin 2020
– Award ceremony at the World Congress of Architects : 21 July 2020
Registration and more information on: https://www.uia2020rio.archi/concurso_en.asp